Thursday, April 10, 2008

Oh, the Joy of Easter!

I was waiting for definite word about where I would be serving at the start of the new appointment year. It was a holy week like none other. I spent the week in quarantine with my husband, both of us suffering with influenza. Although much of this time was a blur, I finally received a clear word about my next church appointment. This would be one more step in the direction of new ministry, fresh opportunity, and in this case exciting adventure! I began to remember what comes on the other side holy week--EASTER! And it was time to share my good news with Cashiers UMC.

We have celebrated! We have rejoiced! We have sung praises! We have remembered the wondrous resurrection! Oh, the joy of Easter!

The disciples long ago discovered this joy, as the resurrected Jesus surprisingly appeared to them on various occasions. Jesus even instructed them, as Luke tells us: “You can see now how it is written that the Messiah suffers, rises from the dead on the third day, and then a total life-change through the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed in his name to all nations—starting from here, from Jerusalem! You’re the first to hear and see it. You’re the witnesses. What comes next is very important…”

So, what does come next for us as Easter people? We may very well find ourselves in the same posture as the disciples, following the ascension of Jesus Christ. “And they were on their knees, worshiping him.” We are overjoyed and humbled by the resurrection, but we are waiting to see what lies ahead.

The disciples were in between the glory of resurrection and the “what’s next” of life in faith. They were waiting for the promises to be revealed. They were anticipating something, but not sure what that something would be. Yet, despite the uncertainty, the “in between” was a place filled with hope and blooming life. And the disciples would have to balance delicately the present and the future.

These seasons of the “in between” can be exciting in our lives of faith, especially if we remember the hope and blooming life that abounds. We must always remember the hope and life in Jesus Christ, and we must expect that something will come next for us, as Easter people!!

I find myself completely reliant upon this hope and life because I am living in a season of “in between.” I am trying to balance delicately the present and the future. I am trusting in the promises that come with life in faith and ministry, and I am expectant for what will come next. Easter is the gift that has reminded me that there is hope and life amidst the in between, and this brings me to my knees!

In the past couple of months following the announcement of my anticipated summer departure, I have been grateful for the outpouring of love and concern. It has brought to light both the gift of faithful life in community and the difficulty of transition. Many people have asked about the “what’s next” for me, and I am pleased to share with you my plans for ministry beyond Cashiers.

Following an extensive application process and months of waiting, Timothy and I have very recently received confirmation from The Methodist Church in Britain that we will be placed in ministry appointments to serve churches in England. We will be moving in August to the county of Berkshire, which is directly west of London. Depending on which manse (parsonage) we choose, we will be living near either Newbury or Reading and serving in two separate but adjacent Circuits. I will be serving in the Newbury and Hungerford Circuit and Timothy in the Reading and Silchester Circuit.

This has been an exciting yet daunting decision, but thanks to Easter I have been reminded once again that there is hope and life in the “in between!” There is promise in the journey of faith! As I anticipate the experiences to come, I will cherish and hold tightly to the experiences of ministry that I share with you right now. May you know that by the grace of God these experiences are shaping my life and leading me forward into this new adventure.

I prayerfully trust that you too will find hope, life, and promise in what lies ahead for your life of faith and for the ministry of Cashiers UMC! Oh, the joy of Easter!


This is truly a dream bursting to life!

0 comments: