Monday, April 21, 2008

Moments of Surprise...Over and Over

I scared the turkeys away this morning when I stepped onto the back porch.  I watched and listened to them fade away into the hill.  I, also, caught a lengthy glimpse of a beautiful woodpecker on a tree.  It changed its course before my daughter could see it for herself, but we discussed its visit.  If it is not a moment with the turkeys or woodpeckers, it's a moment with the deer or owl or bear or hummingbirds.

For some reason, moments such as these continue to surprise me.  Even after four years of living on a secluded mountain, I somehow have these experiences over and over, as if for the very first time.  I guess this is the undeniable city girl in me.

When we moved to Glenville, I didn't have any concept of darkness.  I had always lived in places where street lights illumined the night.  To be honest, I know now that I had never really seen stars and certainly not a shooting star streaming across the nighttime.

Every time there is a full moon, as there has been lately, like clockwork I ask my husband the same question, "Did you see the full moon?"  Really, his response should be, "Of course...  How could I not see it on this dark mountain."  But, he always graciously says, "Yes."  Then without fail, I respond, "Oh, isn't it gorgeous?!"

I deeply appreciate the beauty of the mountains, and I treasure every surprise moment that I experience over and over.  Yet, I still can't deny the city girl in me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of blogging, Amy - TAG, you're it!!

The rules:

a. Link to the person who tagged you.
b. Post the rules on your blog.
c. Write six random things about yourself.
d. Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs.
e. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment at their blog.
f. Let your tagger know when your entry is up.


Here's mine: Meme