Thursday, January 29, 2009

Changing Course

It is hard for me to think that almost six months have passed since we packed up our lives, said goodbye to North Carolina along with our family and friends, and arrived in England.  Timothy, Laura-Clare, and I disembarked the plane in London and embarked on quite an adventure.  It has certainly been one filled with excitement, adjustment, surprises, fun, learning, and joy!  We have been living a dream and experiencing life and ministry in Thatcham and beyond and in The Methodist Church.  We anticipated much in our coming here and have encountered even more, and for this I am truly grateful.

Although we have been immensely blessed, this time has not been without important personal reflection.  While maneuvering this adventure, we have been faced with discernment and decisions.  Along the way, I expressed to Timothy my own uncertainty about the duration of our time in England.  I began to recognize that I couldn't really envision this family experience into the more distant future.

It was at this point that we found ourselves in the midst of particular discernment and decision-making, and it was in my being honest that I began to understand with more clarity.   It became clear that our original plans would need to change, and so through prayerful consideration, Timothy and I met one another in a new, shared vision for our family's future.

We decided that we would claim this year on its own as our great England adventure and that we would make plans to return to North Carolina in the late spring.  It was the right decision to make but a very difficult truth to tell.  Honesty is not always an easy practice, but fortunately, we have been met with love.  I have expressed my appreciation to the Circuit and the churches, as they have responded to the news of our departure, and the following is a portion of what I wrote for the most recent church newsletters.

  "Please know that we did not come to this conclusion without much prayer and searching. We did not intend for our experiences here to turn in this direction, but in being honest with ourselves and with one another, we found it necessary to change our plans.  We certainly do understand that our decision impacts the ministry life of the church and the Circuit for the future, but we continue to trust in our God who is faithful and hope that you will do the same.
  I am humbled by your kindness and compassion in light of our situation, and I will appreciate your continued prayers, as I will hold you prayerfully close at heart as well.  I thank you for the time that I have had in Kingsclere Methodist Church and Thatcham Methodist Church, and I look forward to sharing ministry with you for the time ahead.  May God bless you in your faithful service."

As we have shared our story and disclosed our plans, we have truly been met with nothing but compassion and concern.  We have been offered Christly kindness and respect.  And we are thankful for the body of Christ that stretches far and wide, especially throughout this portion of south England.  Our first-hand knowledge of this far-reaching love is a gift!  I have received an outpouring of support from folks, but one email in particular has meant a lot to me and expresses so beautifully what I have felt so often amidst this experience. (It will remain anonymous.)

            "It seems it's all change again, and just wanted you to know you are in our thoughts and prayers.  Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your smooth return home.  Amy, in your short time with us you have been a breath of fresh air and I hope you feel the experience has had some upside.  This is a crowded island we live on and as [we] have travelled the world, we have become increasingly aware that the wider UK population rarely appreciates or supports its Christian heritage.  We try to teach [our family] that they have a lot to learn by broadening their horizons and to try new experiences is better than not to try at all."

I deeply appreciate receiving this email, knowing the foundation of faith on which it rests.  It exemplifies the very loving kindness and compassion that I have been offered since the moment I arrived.  These generous words also say something particular to me about this journey and about what we are able to learn from others within another cultural context.

I have been profoundly enriched by living my faith in south England, and I can't help but believe and reiterate the words, "[T]o try new experiences is better than not to try at all."  Yes, yes! And so I will make the most of our time in England before changing course and returning to North Carolina at the end of May, and I will be thankful for how it has helped to shape profoundly my life and faith!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh pooh. I can't arrange a trip to England before May. Sure you don't want to stay a few more..um, years? (You know, JUST for me? LOL)

Amy said...

Yes, Aerin, we had anticipated many more visits from many more willing visitors. Sorry. Maybe a visit to NC would interest you at some point instead... (Okay, so it's not England but a pretty nice option nonetheless.) Timothy and I hope to make our way out west in the US again someday...! Goodness, we might just have to meet y'all somewhere in the middle let's say beneath a giant arch!! :-) XOXO

lucynell2 said...

What a sweet and thoughtful email from that parishioner. I know that must've brought you so much comfort. Of course, you know my feelings about you coming back to the States. ;)

Olive Morgan said...

You and Tim certainly have our prayers, Amy, and we look forward to a few more months of sharing before you return home. Perhaps you will return to us in a few years' time when Laurs-Clare is older? Right now, I am thinking of the joy your return home must be giving to your parents. It is a very precious time when you can watch your little granddaughter grow up as you share in those intimate moments. It's not quite the same when shared over the Internet! I have not met you and Tim yet (in spite of your invitation), except through your blog which you may perhaps continue, but I have come to think of you as a friend. Perhaps I will meet Tim at our Circuit Meeting next month, as we adjust our Circuit staff for the rest of 2009. I think you were both very courageous to take on this assignment, covering seven churches and two Circuits, when you had a two-year old child and no family back-up! May God bless you both while you remain with us and also in your future Ministry back home.

Anonymous said...

Hello my dear friend - don't know how in the know you are about the whole blogosphere thing, but we award each other fun, pretty buttons in mutual support and I just passed it on - very appropriately to you.

And yes, we'll meet you in the middle - or...you could probably twist my arm to make it to NC!!