Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Watching (Not So Intently), But Watching

We shortened Laura-Clare's day at nursery school so that we wouldn't miss the Inauguration. I usually pick her up just a few minutes before 5 p.m., and being that we are five hours ahead of EST, I would have missed the event completely had I been in transit (especially since the main road that links my route is CLOSED - ugghh!).

On the way home, Laura-Clare and I discussed President-elect Obama.  I explained that there would be a new US President (she was not really following), and so I offered her something that she understands the best.  I told her about the Obama family.  I explained that the new President and the First Lady are the daddy and mommy to two little girls.  She responded, "Who?"  I told her about their daughters, and she said, "Can they come to my house and play?"  I made no promises but with a grin reveled in that image for a moment.

So, upon arrival at the house, we positioned ourselves in front of the television to watch the events unfold.  And amidst her comings and goings, we showed Laura-Clare the two little Obama girls, and we witnessed the Inauguration.  As documented below, she watched and made it through but not without several requests along the way for her "little girl shows."  Nothing personal, Mr. President!!

President Barack Obama


Vice President Joe Biden

3 comments:

Olive Morgan said...

She will treasure these photos when she is older.

Sally said...

Foud you blog via Olive. I am so glad that you made an effort to be there, and to give your daughter an important memory. We must mark these events!

Amy said...

Thanks to both of you! It certainly will always be a memorable day!